Monday, June 05, 2006

Remains of the Day and CD IV.2

I confessed to my lack of good reading last Thursday. I have been attempting to amend my ways and read the Remains of the Day and started Barth's Church Dogmatics IV.2 this weekend. Barth says that a Christian is one that not only hears and struggles with God (ie. Israel) but accepts a role in being God's co-worker in the task of redemption. Of course, "co-working with God" always means for me something like: whatever you do in word or in deed do it all for the glory of God. Of course this attitude I learned amongst Calvinist where it meant too often--be an investment banker ad majorem deo. Here God is preeminetly the God who is concerned with human excellance. So, are major task is to preform are calling with virtuosity. This attitude make sense as long as one is serving the right things and people. However, the Remains of the Day gently delineates the ambiquities of human virtue that makes this a task that requires much critical facility and a good deal of moral trepidation. Certainly post-Holocaust we can no longer ever think of duty the same way again.

No comments: