Thursday, June 08, 2006

Haditha

This is what I have had my mind on today especially as it recapitulates this.

What is a Christian response to such things? Why I know it is not this! I still can't fully comfortable in my own pacifism. Does my pacifism alone render me guiltless of the crimes of my country. I must admit that I feel responsible. I am a citizen? Right!? This violence was for me?! Right? For my Freedom? I remember prayers as a child: Thank You that I live In America and have religious freedom! As if Nuclear Bombs and Marines are what preserve our freedoms and not the cross of Christ. But, I don't see anyway that this war machine is gonna grind to a halt and I know to many beloved Christian friends and neighbors who have never paused a millisecond and thought--Maybe, just maybe, shooting one year old babies for any cause at all is not right. Even our cause!? Even if it were Jesus's cause. Of course I am being overly dramatic. My guess is that they would simply not believe that such acts as the slaying in Haditha would be carried out in our names and by some twisted extension in the name of Christ. However, I can't see any other way to look at it. Surely, the God of Israel hate idolatry as much as ever. Are we worshipping GOD or are we worshipping Mars? Are we worshipping GOD or the flag. It seems to me that there are lines being drawn in the sand at places like Haditha.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hmmmm... that video game link is shockingly like an episode of "The Simpsons" in which the Christian neighbor kids play a video game - they are supposed to shoot to convert the heathen. If they don't get the shot quite right, the person doesn't get a "full conversion" but instead becomes a Unitarian. I always thought that episode was hilarious for its clever absurdity...I can't BELIEVE that someone would actually create such a game. I don't consider myself a pacifist (*though I enjoy your "liberal rants" as you call them!) but this goes above and beyond one's position on war. Wow.