Monday, May 15, 2006

My ongoing attempt at this act of worship

While this may look like I am posting as Jodie - I'm not....It's Angela sneaking in on an opportunity to post.

I am off tomorrow morning for three weeks in Vancouver. I had visited back in the beginning of April to introduce Jacob to his family and be part of an A Rocha retreat. It was both very hard to be back and a bit like being held in the embrace of the community there and sent off again to Toronto.

The retreat to Galiano Island immersed me in the world of birding, the green and blue colours of God's creation, and what seemed to me, the surreal world of academics, environmentalists, and hands-on people who all have incredibly caring hearts. Well, I don't count myself an academic, I do love God's creation, and have a passion for people and relationships...perhaps I will fit in somewhere. I returned to the paved world of Toronto and wondered in dismay how to make a connection not only between the urban and the wild, but between Toronto and British Columbia, between me and a much different board, between people and A Rocha, and throw in a strong desire for social justice and a yen to meld it with the environmental...so what's my role and where do I start??

I have concluded I am a seed planted. We all will see what grows, trick now is to discover what or who is my water and sunshine.

Christian community:
I was struck recently that in our walk with Christ we move towards becoming more Christ-like. Anyway you put it, we are clay being molded by God, we are running a marathon, we are being born again in a new life. It all comes down to one thing; this is a process, a living into the life God would have us live. There is no majic wand that will make me be full of grace, do my chores on time, love everyone well, not grumble under my breath or push me to clean up my socks laying around the house. Angela, give yourself (and others) a break - we are living into this crazy, chaotic vision God has placed before us.

I am a seed planted with others as a community to be Christ followers to each other and planted in this neighbourhood to be Christ followers to others. This is my ongoing attempt at an act of worship I am just beginning to live out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Angela,
Sorry things were frenetic enough around the house yesterday that I didn't get a chance to ask about your retreat. Well placed questions are not a strong point for me. Anyhow, this was a beautiful post and I hope that you all have a wonderful May out in Vancouver. Jacob will likely be saying things by the time he gets back. This morning he was stretching his vocal cords quite gamely. Jodie

The EnrĂ­quez-Zandstra family said...

Angela, thanks for this wise word. Your advice to "give yourself (and others) a break" is something most of us need to here sometime or another, I think--I know I do.