Saturday, May 27, 2006

Intentional Christian Community

Whenever I talk about Christian community I find myself using the word intentional. "Intentional Christian community," "Intentionally living the Sermon on the Mount," "Let's be intentional. . " Although it slips smoothly off my tongue "intentionally" still strikes me strange. Most willed actions are intended? Aren't they? I mean perhap this reflects too much time spent thinking about the insanity defense. But, I think most acts are intentioned (in fact this is what makes most standards for what passes as sane so twisted in our justice system.) One could argue that gestures and fidgits (and with Aquinas rubbing one's beard) are unintentional... But, decisions about the way we live are usually intended? I know. I know. When people you the term intentional they are invoking a strong sense of intentionality. But, when it is used in this strong sense I am not sure if it ever fits me. I feel more like a plodder than an intender. I keep going. Trying my best. Most of the time. Heading forward as a sort of experiment. I think we are living in experimental Christian community. Does that doom us from the start? Will some day I say: if only we were more intentional? I don't know. I do know that one think in Hauerwas has always challenged me and that is his statement that Christians should live life out of control. Does this make us at too high a risk to go the way of experimental communities of the 19th century: I Don't know?

No comments: