Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Easter is all over. I have had random thoughts of taking in Eastern Orthodox Easter next week as everything just seemed to have gone by too fast. We attended church up in Buckley and instead of a strident version of "Up From the Grave He Arose" we sang some bland chorus that I've never sung before and will never sing again. Whatever side your are on in the politics of praise songs... They can neither carry Easter Joy nor Good Friday pathos. The only way I can recover from "Were You There?" is to confidently sing Christ, the Lord is Risen Today! This year I had the sorrow with out the release. I've tried to sing "Christ, The Lord is Risen Today" by myself but the Alelluias always end up sounding like cat torture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodie,

Did you get around to taking in a Pascha service this year? Christ is risen from the dead, trampling death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!

I was in GR for the Festival of Faith & Writing at that time and found it was a wonderful wrap-up to go to the Easter Vigil on Sat. night. If Western Christianity knows how to do Christmas well, the Orthodox certainly know how to celebrate Easter.

Thanks for the blog comment at my blog, by the way... It is indeed Deb from Calvin (and yes, Zondervan is a division of HarperCollins. ;)

I'll email you soon (assuming your email is the same one in the Calvin alumni system).

Keep in touch,
deb