Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Look


The Saviour looked on Peter. Ay, no word,
No gesture of reproach; the Heavens serene
Though heavy with armed justice, did not lean
Their thunders that way: the forsaken Lord
Looked only, on the traitor. None record
What that look was, none guess; for those who have seen
Wronged lovers loving through a death-pang keen,
Or pale-cheeked martyrs smiling to a sword,
Have missed Jehovah at the judgment-call.
And Peter, from the height of blasphemy -
'I never knew this man'- did quail and fall
As knowing straight That God; and turned free
And went out speechless from the face of all
And filled the silence, weeping bitterly.

The meaning of the look

I think that look of Christ might seem to say -
'Thou Peter! art thou then a common stone
Which I at last must break my heart upon
For all God's charge to his high angels may
Guard my foot better ? Did I yesterday
Wash thy feet, my beloved, that they should run
Quick to deny me 'neath the morning sun ?
And do thy kisses, like the rest, betray ?
The cock crows coldly. - Go, and manifest
A late contrition, but no bootless fear!
For when thy final need is dreariest,
Thou shalt not be denied, as I am here;
My voice to God and angels shall attest,
Because I Know this man, let him be clear.'

Elizabeth Barrett Browning

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All I seem to be able to manage as far as praying goes is "Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom." Not exactly the prayer of a knight of faith. I can even begin to imagine what it would be like to be as brave as Peter, so cocksure, and, then, to stumble. Every one always acts like Peter is lovable and fallible. Perhaps, but I would never have been there is the dark watching the trial, never would have been able to fall so boldly, Peter is a force I can't even begin to understand. Like I can't even begin to understand what it means to live with the power that rose Christ from the dead. You can never go back. Can't go back to the moment before there were fissures of doubt, can't go back to before the cosmos crumbled, can't recreate zeal. Rebirth? How can a girl return to the Buckley G. Tabernacle when she has reached maturity. I believe. Yes. Help me in my unbelief. Yes. But, I don't want to go back and I am not settled where I am at so I guess I am just waiting for the clouds to be rolled back as a scroll and for God to return to be all and all. But, I no I won't desreve the grace given to Peter. Is it possible that I can get in with the grace given to the thief on the cross?